Explore Northern New Mexico from this bright, new casita in South Ojo Caliente. Built in 2012 and beautifully furnished, this one bedroom, one bath casita is in the perfect location to explore the surrounding area. The famed Ojo Caliente Hot Springs and Spa is just 15 minutes up the road. Explore the galleries and museums in Santa Fe (40 minutes to the south), Ghost Ranch (35 minutes north), or Taos (an hour north). The casita is in an ideal location for taking in the art studio tours every fall: the Abiquiu, El Rito, Dixon, and High Road to Taos tours are all close by. The scenic Cumbres and Toltec steam railway makes a nice day trip during the warmer months. Visit the nearby ancient Anasazi ruins at Poshuouinge (15 mins), Puye Cliffs (25 mins), Tsankawi (30 mins) or Bandelier National Monument (~45 mins). Geology buffs and nature lovers will want to visit the Valles Caldera, about an hour away. The casita is about 35 minutes from Los Alamos National Lab, and could serve as a home-away-from home for visitors to the Lab.
There is a beautiful view of the Jemez mountains from the back of the casita, which is located on a private, gated, unpaved road. There are a few other homes on our road but the casita is situated in a way that provides privacy--particularly from the back patio/view area.
- Fully-equipped kitchen with refrigerator/freezer, gas stove and oven, dishwasher, garbage disposal, toaster, coffee maker (with bean grinder) and microwave, dishes, pots and pans, utensils, and all else that you need for cooking; pantry with basic staples. A table in the kitchen seats four.
- One bedroom with king sized bed and a comfy pillow-top mattress, good-sized closet, large window with mountain views, and door out to the patio.
- Iron and ironing board in bedroom closet
- Washer and dryer
- Hair dryer
- Queen sleeper sofa in living room.
- Wireless internet, internet TV, DVD player and DVD library. Note: Internet is the best available out here but can be slow at times. We do have a selection of DVDs so you can watch these if the internet TV disappoints! Verizon cell coverage is good; AT&T cell coverage is ok. Others carriers may have coverage as well, but we have not tried any others.
- Wood-burning stove (and large supply of wood), plus electric heat
- Air conditioning (swamp cooler) for the summer months
The casita is furnished in local style, including saltillo tile floors, Mexican tile, wooden viga ceiling, corbels and beams in the living room, and colorful furniture and artwork.
Come and enjoy the beauty of New Mexico!
No smoking is allowed in the casita. No pets, please--we love animals but we have to think of all of our guests who may stay in the casita, and potential problems with allergies. Thanks!
Enjoy your stay!
My husband Bob and I retired and moved to Ojo Caliente from the San Francisco Bay Area in 2012. We used to travel around the western US during our vacations when we were working. We kept returning to this area and fell in love with the clean air, mountains, mix of cultures and friendly people, the art, the food, New Mexico history. We are creative folks... Bob--acrylic and oil painting, and scale modeling, me--watercolors and mosaics. We built a casita for friends and family who visit--and are now making it available as a vacation rental as well. It's too nice to leave empty for very long! As hosts, we are very respectful of our guests privacy. We will be around if you need us but otherwise we won't intrude.