Our yurt is by the water, in our forest, on an elevated little peninsula where the Ottawa River meets the Mississippi River, just 40 min. west of Ottawa! It is at the end of a beautiful forest road, where you can park for your stay.
Yurta (Canadian designed and made) is a contemporary adaption of a traditional Mongolian yurt built for the Canadian climate. It is superbly crafted with natural, non-toxic materials, is completely weatherproof and has a minimal footprint.
In the spirit of a tent, our yurt has no usual building features and no interior heat. It is 17 feet round, has 6 foot high walls and has a 10 foot ceiling at its highest point. The roof is capped with a clear, 4 foot round operable dome that vents the yurt and gives great light. The dome is easy to operate using a special pole. The yurts sits on an insulated, natural pine floor. It has a beautiful cedar door and three bright windows each with sewn-in insect mesh, storm flaps and awnings.
Surrounding the yurt on three sides is water, easily assessable from two sides. The water is perfect for swimming, shallow for approx. 100 feet, it is especially good for children. The fishing is great and the sunsets are incredible. The property is large and full of charming, minimally-maintained trails for hiking.
The space includes:
• two single mattresses on low pine bed-frames. The space is ideal for two adults and two children - two on the low beds and two in sleeping bags on the floor (only two mattresses in two bed frames provided)
• an outdoor fire pit with grill
• self-serve firewood already by the fire pit
• two picnic tables
• a clean drop toilet on a platform with two sides for privacy, unroofed
• a trampoline
• a hammock
• parking at the base of the ridge where the yurt sits (the yurt is approx. 90 feet up a gentle hill from the parking spot)
Included in your stay:
• biodegradable soap (please don't bring your own)
• solar lights that brighten the way from the yurt to the toilet at night
• an old canoe with two paddles and two adult life jackets
• first aid box
• a large mosquito net that fits both beds and extra space
Please bring with you:
• sleeping bags and/or sheets to cover mattresses, pillows, all other bedding required
• drinking water or plan to boil river water
• appropriate clothing and footwear
• water shoes (there are sharp clams)
• camping chairs
• food + cooler + ice (there is no refrigeration)
• a camp stove if you wish to cook on something other than an open fire
• flashlight(s) (this is camping and it gets very dark)
Other things to note:
• there have been bears spotted on the property so food storage does need to be taken seriously. It is best to pack all of your food into your car for the night - cars make a great safe 'bear box'
• please plan to arrive before dark, it gets very dark so you will want to be familiar with your surroundings and settled in before the sun starts to set!
• cell phones work, assess to power or to charge your device is available at Margaret and Anthony's home. There is no electricity at or around the yurt site
• no smoking in the yurt. If you do smoke outside be sure to dispose of all butts in the fire ring
• our yurt is situated between the towns of Fitzroy Harbour and Arnprior. Arnprior is a bustling town with a great Metro grocery store, gas stations, a movie theatre, super park on the Ottawa River with a kid's splash pad, lovely downtown with restaurants and shopping and the best chip wagon you could ever visit!
Ottawa, Ontario, Kanada